Today on the Princess Warrior Blog, I'd like to welcome Kathleen S. Allen. Kathleen is an author of Young Adult Fantasy, but also writes in other genres. Her latest release IF IT'S MONDAY, IT MUST BE MURDER!, from Gypsy Shadow Publishing is now available.
Let's get to know Kathleen S. Allen
1. Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I will plot out scenes or timelines if there is something complicated going on but I let the characters “speak” to me as I write and take them on the path they want to follow. In my
final edit I do a timeline of the seasons/days/months etc. to make sure the timeline makes sense. I also do the same for each scene to make sure the right characters are doing what they should be doing or saying what they should be saying. I do plot out my NaNoWrMo novel though (NaNoWrMo is a month long national/international writing event. The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days) although the plot doesn't necessarily resemble the finished product!
2. How long have you been a writer?
I started writing at a very young age. I remember one year when I was eight painstakingly copying poems I had written in my best printing, punching holes in the sides of paper, making an orange construction paper “book jacket” with the words: MY POEMS on it in blue crayon (I liked odd colour combinations), tying a bit of red ribbon through the holes in the sides and making a bow. I recall making several of them to give as gifts during the holidays. I had my first poem published when I was 15, then moved on to short stories and finally, novels.
3. What other careers have you had?
I wouldn’t exactly call them careers but I’ve had many jobs. I also have seven degrees, including two bachelor degrees (education and nursing), a Master’s in Teaching, a Master’s in Nursing, a Master’s in Social Work and a Master’s in English. I have a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree. And I am currently working on a MFA.
Teacher (preschool, elementary and secondary), bookstore clerk, bakery clerk, office worker, college professor, daycare owner, factory worker, waitress, nurse, nurse practitioner, home health care aide, social worker, psychotherapist, tour guide, French to English translator, research assistant, laboratory assistant, tutor, editor, writer. . . I’m sure there are others I’ve forgotten!
4. How do your family and/or friends feel about your book or writing venture in general?
My friends are in awe of my ability to crank out a book in a short time! My two daughters are my inspiration for my writing and they have encouraged me ever since they were small and asked me to “tell me one of your made up stories” before bedtime!
5. Please tell us 5 miscellaneous facts about yourself.
1) I have lived on both the east and west coast of the USA (NYC and LA).
2) I have celebrity crushes on John Barrowman (he is so gorgeous, a great singer/actor and yes, I know he’s gay), David Tennant (he is the “real” Doctor Who!) and Aidan Turner (from Being Human on BBC, he’s Irish, need I say more?).
3) My music taste runs from classical, to jazz, to R&B, pop and classic R&R. I like Lady Gaga.
4) I had thirteen cats at one time (now I only have two).
5) My favourite drink is a Grande Cappuccino from Starbucks.
And there you have it, some facts about me. Be sure and check out my guest blog on October, 27, 2011 about the writing process.
Find Kathleen on Twitter: @kathleea
FB: Witch Hunter https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Witch-Hunter/142372955812353
Guest blogger every Wednesday on www.downtownya.blogspot.com