Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Interview with Lori Corsentino


Today I am pleased to have paranormal romance author Lori Corsentino join us.  Lori's writing debut is coming up quick!  Her novella Evelyn is part of the Finding Ms. Wright anthology from 5 Prince Publishing. So let's dig in.  Welcome Lori Corsentino!


What is your favorite thing about being a writer?
I’m very curious and observant, so being able to do something with all the creative ideas running around in my head is great fun.

 What genre(s) do you write?
Right now I’m working on a paranormal series. I also write historical, romantic suspense and contemporary.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Finishing it! I’ve got two things going against me and two things going for me. I’ve always had a problem finishing things, but at the same time I LOVE to be able to check things off of a check list. I’m a recovering perfectionist that, if I let my inner editor have her way, would tweak Chapter 1 forever, but I’m learning to push through to the end and that perfectionism is highly overrated and kills the soul.

So in a round-about way, I’m finding my writing stride. Hopefully the hardest things about writing the next one will be COMPLETELY different!

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I’m a combo of the two. I like to call it a Planter. I need some outline and structure to flesh out, but too many rules and hard core plotting kills my muse, and lets out the evil inner editor...


What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories?
The same sense of fun, excitement and wonder that I had when I was writing it. Also, a strong desire to find more of my books!   :  )

 Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
That there can be a true partnership in a relationship, even with an Alpha male! Also that it’s OK to be a strong woman. Men secretly dig strong women.   : )

 How long have you been a writer? 
I’ve been doing writing in one form or another most of my life. I’ve done journaling since I was in junior high, and dabbled in some poetry in high school. Shortly after college I tried to co-author a book with a friend. We never did finish it (see what I mean about finishing stuff?). I’ve been fiddling with writing novels for the last 10 years. I joined my local chapter of RWA about 3 years ago to see if I had what it takes. I’m still here, and I’ve been writing pretty seriously for the last year.

 How much time did it take from writing your first book to having it published?
Well, as I mentioned I’ve started a lot of books but never finished them. I completed my first novella, Fire Season, last year at Halloween. Evelyn is my second novella. I started writing her story in June of this year.
  
What other careers have you had?
I was a Secretary once long ago, and have been a Technical Writer specializing in User Guides and Online Help systems for software development for the last 15 years. You know, just your average everyday geek stuff.

 Do you write under more than one name? Why?
Nope – just the one name for right now. I mean isn’t Lori Corsentino just a great name for a romance novelist? If I branch out into something completely different I’ll likely take on a pen name.
  
Are any of your characters based on real people or events?
Of course they are! But, I wouldn’t say that any one person could ever recognize themselves in one of my characters. I take different traits from the many people I know and combine them to make my characters. I guess you could say I’m my own Dr. Frankenstein when it comes to characterization!

What books or authors have most influenced your life?
Linda Howard has absolutely influenced me. I love her work. She introduced me to the Romantic Suspense genre – which is one of my favorites. I’ve fallen in love with more of her heroes that I probably should. She does such a great job. Nora Roberts is also a great influence. She broke so many stereotypes and barriers for romance authors. I’d love to be called the “Next Nora Roberts.”


How do your family and/or friends feel about your book or writing venture in general?
My family and friends are all very excited and supportive. I have several female work friends that are looking forward to the release date. I also have more than a couple male work colleagues that are also excited about the release of this book. It does give me just the slightest pause knowing that these guys are going to be reading my novella. I just hope they don’t do it in the lunch room!!!
  
Where are you from?
I’m a Colorado native, born and raised in Denver. I love to travel but Denver will always be home to me.

 How do you come up with the titles?
That’s a really good question! Most of my work starts out as “Untitled” with a date. It’s usually when I’ve been working on it for a while that a title will come to me – and it usually comes out of the blue! Evelyn was a bit easier because I was collaborating with my fellow authors M.L. Guida and Hillary Seidl – we came up with a title almost from the very start.

 Has your life changed significantly since becoming a published writer?
Not yet! Someday I want to be able to bury my toes in the sand on some tropical beach as I type my new bestseller into my laptop.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?
I’m definitely a multi-tasker! I get bored and rebellious if I’m forced to deal with one thing at a time for too long a period. If I can have a little something on the side, it helps me to keep my focus. I guess I need to have a little “affair” to keep my main writing tasks on track!
  
When not writing, how do you relax?
I love to read, of course. I also enjoy making jewelry, specifically working with metal, semi-precious stones, and minerals. It’s just something about working with my hands and my right brain side to create a tangible thing of beauty that really appeals to me. I also dabble in digital photography.
  
Please tell us 5 miscellaneous facts about yourself.
1) I’m a reforming pack rat. Its tough, because it’s in the blood – on my mothers side!
2) I’m a rock-hound! I have a rock collection that, which not overly impressive, is kind of cool. I mean how many people do you know has a hunk of volcanic obsidian as big as your fist, a chunk of lava from a volcano in Hawaii, and a nice piece of specular hematite?
3) I’m a night person. I get that from my mother’s side as well! My Dad used to tease me that I was part vampire.
4) I’ve seen the Grand Canyon twice. Both times were from the air, and both times were at sunset. Some day, I’ll see the Grand Canyon from the ground and maybe stay a couple days to make sure I get enough pictures!   : )
5) I love looking at the world through the lens of a camera. It gives you a completely different point of view. I really should get a camera that takes great night shots. That’ll go great with my nocturnal tendencies!


 Lori, what else are you working on?
 I’m currently working on another paranormal – the sequel to Evelyn titled, “And the Fairest of Them All.” It’s a full length tale featuring Annora, Alexander’s sister. I’ve also got another in the same series planned for Analiese, Alexander’s youngest sister. That will nicely round out a trilogy. I do love writing a series!

I can be found on facebook at Lori Corsentino and twitter at loricorsentino.
My website is www.loricorsentino.com



Here’s an excerpt. It’s a little more than 400 words – hope that’s OK!  : )

Evie set her jaw and crossed her arms in a defensive gesture before looking at Reginald to gauge his sincerity. What she found there told her he was serious.
The very thought of kissing Mr. Hottie Prince fascinated her, but it wasn’t exactly something she was prepared to do. She looked back at Reginald. “What if I’m not The One?”
“Then nothing will happen.”
“But what if I am The One?” Sweat broke out on her brow and upper lip. The very thought of having that much responsibility quickened her breath, so much so she began to get light headed. She was freaking out.
“Then my Prince will awaken.”
Through her frantic haze, Evie saw there might be something there. If the Prince awoke...he could send her back home. Even Reginald said that. She could get out of this place and return to familiarity and safety of her own home. While her life was anything but fascinating, it was hers and she wanted to go back to it. It was all fine and well to visit other places, even crazy-ass places like this, but there was no place like home.
“And I just have to kiss him?” She might be able to do this. Kiss him, get him awake, and go home.
She’d already determined he wasn’t dead so it didn’t really creep her out too much anymore. It was as if he’d been on a major bender and now was sleeping really hard.
The benefits seemed to outweigh the risks. Evie shrugged and then relaxed her shoulders as she gave in. “If I kiss him and he wakes up, he can he send me home, right?” The desire to get the hell away from this whacked out wonderland gave her encouragement.
“My Prince does have that power.” 
Evie frowned. Best case scenario was she would kiss him, he would awaken, and she’d be on her way home. Worse case would be she would take advantage of an unconscious man and kiss his mouth, and perhaps linger a bit to nibble on that full bottom lip. Evie eyed his mouth, unable to tear her gaze away. It seemed to beckon her, begging for the touch of her lips.
Evie dragged her teeth along her own to keep the temptation at bay. It was too perfect.
“OK – I’m game.” Evie nodded. “How long before we know?”
“I am sorry Madame,” Reginald shook his head. “I am a simple Aide-de-Camp. I do not know.”
“Well,” Evie acted before she lost her resolve. “Let’s give it a shot.”










2 comments:

  1. Planter! I love that! I am so borrowing that, I may even hand out peanuts. Lol!
    Really loved this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! They were really great questions.

    Yeah, I've heard a plotter / pantser type writer called a puzzler before, but I prefer planter. Makes it sound like you're growing something. : ) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete