Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My guest today is Lisa Logue


Lisa Logue
Author of Bestselling Cursed Secrets (Legacy of Secrets)



Please welcome Lisa Logue to my Warrior Princess Blog today.
Lisa Logue has written everything from poetry and short stories to her debut novel Cursed Secrets. Originally from Long Island, NY, she now resides in Tennessee with her family including her two sons.

At the age of seven, Lisa began writing short stories depicting dramatic scenes of abusive relationships and murder/mysteries. After several calls home from the teacher, Lisa made it clear that while the stories seemed real her imagination created the drama. But it didn't stop there. After the short stories came poetry with which she received many awards including winning several contests. Her earlier poems were published in coffee table books and various online websites, proving she's no stranger to the written word.

After a long two years, her first novel Cursed Secrets has finally been published. Lisa is constantly working to improve and adapt her writing to intrigue and entice readers. As an avid reader herself, creating "real" characters has been an important part of the project. While Cursed Secrets encompasses a variety of supernatural characters, the human element is prominent and relatable.

When Lisa isn't writing, she's spending time with her family, working, or attending classes for her degree. She also loves to read and often finds herself curled up in a snuggie with a glass of wine. Spending time with her boyfriend of almost five years and their friends is another enjoyment and break from crazy daily life.

What is your favorite thing about being a writer?
~I’ve been writing for so long and it’s become such a big part of my life that I can honestly say, I simply love it. Yes, it’s hard work, but it’s my passion. How can I not love it all?

What genre(s) do you write?
~Primarily, my books fall into the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category. I plan to write other types in the future, but I’m the most comfortable sticking to what I know.

What genres and authors would we find you reading?
~I like paranormal books the best. Some of the YA are better than the adult, but I think that’s partly because the lines have been blurred a bit. Some of my favorite authors are Amanda Hocking, Autumn Dawn, Terry Spear, PC Cast, Janet Evanovich, Colleen Houck and oh so many more. I don’t mind reading indie books and I’ve found that some are better than the traditionally published books. Not to mention I love supporting my fellow writers!

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
~With Cursed Secrets, it was mainly just being able to get through it. The concept was so new to me and when I started writing it, I hadn’t intended for it to be a full length novel. It was surprising that I had that much floating around in my noggin to complete it! Now, I’m almost finished with the sequel and lobbying for two more full novels and several novella companions for Legacy of Secrets.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
~Hmm, mostly a plotter, but I don’t restrict myself. I thought I knew where the series was going when I started and now it’s completely taken a life of its own. I can’t say I’d have it any other way.

Why do you think people should choose your books over another author?
~If I’ve done nothing else, I have stretched the boundaries of characterization. Conversations aren’t monotone and typical; they’re reminiscent of real life with sarcasm and emotion. Relationships aren’t instantaneous and destined, rather they’re tense and dramatic and full of passion. The characters and situations come to life on the pages.

What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories?
~Love takes work. No matter the relationship, no matter the person, love doesn’t come as easy as movies and most books dictate. You can have love at first sight, but you have to work to make it last. But once you find it, you’re crazy if you let it slip away.



Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
~While writing it, I didn’t have a message. However, the ultimate message once it was finished, was that sometimes you have to make the best of what life gives you, even if it isn’t what you want at that moment.

How long have you been a writer? 
~Since I knew how to read. Writing is something that kind of runs in my family. I have an uncle and a grandmother and also my father who have all written poetry or short stories. As far as I know, I’m the only one that’s ever published. When I was in first grade, I wrote a completely fictitious story about a man who beat his wife and the drama around it. Needless to say, my mom got a call home from the teacher!

How much time did it take from writing your first book to having it published?
~Since I went the self-publishing route, it was mere weeks. I’m not one of those individuals who busted the pavement sending queries to the Big Six. I simply decided that I wanted to get it out there and see where it took me. Within the first two weeks, it became a bestseller!

What other careers have you had?
~Currently, I have a full time job for an office supply company. I work in the customer service department and I order custom products like stamps and business cards. I’ve pretty much worked in customer service since I was 16. Aside from that I’m a full time mommy.

Do you write under more than one name? Why?
~I write under Lisa Logue only, for now at least. I’m not interested in writing children’s books or anything like that where I’d want to separate the voice from the adult books. Maybe some time in the future.

Are any of your characters based on real people or events?
~I would say they’re loosely based. Really, I take traits from people I know, characters from books I’ve read and maybe movie stars and meld them together. It’s easier creating a character if you can compare them to a real person and then decide what fits and what doesn’t. At least that’s my outlook.

How would you describe yourself if you were “speed dating” your readers?
~I’d like to say I’m funny, but that only happens on occasion. So I try to be funny. I am incredibly loyal to those I love and I do my best to lookout for everyone. I’m 5”5’, but I’ve learned to live with it. Being Italian, I have dark hair and eyes and olive skin and a temper to boot. My children are from my previous marriage and I’m dating a wonderful man named Brian. We’ve been together for five years. Being a mom isn’t a handicap to me. It’s become as much of who I am as my name. Rarely do I hold a grudge because I try to see the best in people (one of my flaws, too). I’ve grown up a lot in the last few years and I see life on a whole new level. But I am rather impatient and I can sometimes be pushy. I try to be humble and I also don’t take compliments well. Simply put, I am who I am!

What’s something fans would find fascinating about you?
~Being a full time student, mommy and employee becomes daunting, but I manage to write and keep up with all of my social obligations online. That includes: Facebook, Twitter, Blog, Website, Indie Author Network Website and Group and many more. I tend to stay connected no matter where I am!

What else would you like readers to know about you or your work?
~I’m not one of those authors who feel like the world owes me something. I know I need to grow and I welcome it. I don’t like bad reviews, but if they happen I look at it as something to learn from and use it to my advantage. I’ll never be able to please everyone, but I can definitely learn how to better myself in the process.

What books or authors have most influenced your life?
~This really is a great question I just wish I had a better answer! I have never read anything that altered my way of thinking or impacted me in a life-changing way. However, reading all of the books I’ve read I definitely knew that I wanted to write and publish. I always knew in my heart that it was what I was supposed to do.

How do your family and/or friends feel about your book or writing venture in general?
~I am lucky to have very supportive friends and family. Some of them haven’t read my books, but those who have are happy I finally published. I’ve come a long way since keeping a poetry journal. Honestly, I’ve met some really amazing folks since I published that have also become great friends. I wouldn’t be the same without them.

Where are you from?
~I was born in Selden, Long Island, NY. My family moved to Tennessee when I was nine and I’ve lived here since. I hope to move out west one day. I have my eyes on Colorado, somewhere up in the mountains.

How do you come up with the titles?
~That depends on the story. I’ve made pretty good friends with the dictionary and thesaurus as well. Your vocabulary is really never extensive enough!

Has your life changed significantly since becoming a published writer?
~I’m a lot busier now, but it hasn’t changed too terribly much. Recently, things have been picking up, but that’s because I have some pretty awesome writer friends who are also my fans and love promoting my books. I don’t write for fame, I write because I love it!

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?
~I wish I could multi-task with writing! I tend to have a lot of ideas all at once, but I can really only work on one project at a time. It becomes irritating when you have stories begging to come out that you have to keep under wraps!

When not writing, how do you relax?
~My boyfriend and I love movies so we usually see the noteworthy new releases. I also tend to read when I want to relax. Other than that I watch some senseless TV every now and again.

Please tell us 5 miscellaneous facts about yourself.
~I am attending college for a Bachelor’s of Arts (BA) in Communications Studies.
~I’m addicted to the internet, although I hate to admit it.
~I read incredibly fast. A 250 page book is consumed in 5 hours or less.
~Above all things, I am a mommy first. Which also means I’m both protective and opinionated!
~Lastly, I am Italian and L-O-V-E Italian food (and drink!). Pasta is always available in my house!


Please share with us your future projects and upcoming releases.

Binding Secrets, book #2 in Legacy of Secrets, is set for release Oct 31, 2012
Soul Covenant: A Legacy of Secrets Novella, is set for release December 2012

Please share any links you would like to share with us.

Scribd (writing samples): http://www.scribd.com/littlelisa22


Cursed Secrets (Legacy of Secrets #1)

Ten years ago, Lia’s life had been normal, until she witnessed a murder. Since then she’s been plagued by reliving that horrible night in a dream. But that wasn't the worst of her problems. A force had awakened inside her, unleashing something so frightening, she couldn't bear being close to anyone. Until she met Christian. Intrigued by her power and the strange connection between them, Christian is determined to find out what makes her tick. Struggling to keep his urges under control, he vows to stand by her. But as her past is revealed, he uncovers secrets that shake him to the core, forcing a decision that could lead to her death.

*Includes some language*
*Includes minor sexual situations*

**Bonus material!!!**

  
Fire & Ice: A Legacy of Secrets Novella

With a past fueled by blood, sex and death, Christian vowed to be different. The things he witnessed left him hardened, turning his body and heart to ice.

A tiny sliver of humanity remained, leading him to Lia like a moth to a flame. Mortal desires awakened inside him, chipping away the cold. He tells Lia his story, realizing she's the one who revived him. She's the fire to his ice.

*Includes some language*
*Includes some sexual situations*




 Guest Blog: Lisa Logue- Author of Legacy of Secrets

Writing has always been my dream. A few years ago, I started writing a short story based on a crazy dream I had. A few months later, I was still writing and the story transformed. That crazy dream turned into a two year project and my debut novel Cursed Secrets. It became a bestseller in just under a month and I haven’t stopped since! Writing has always been my dream, but I never imagined it would be this awesome!

One thing I’ve seen a lot of on my journey has been very passionate writers who seem like they’re searching for validation. For most, writing has been somewhat of a life-long goal. It is a love of more than just reading, but creating and molding characters and plots into something bigger than simply words on a page. It can be scary to bare your heart and soul to millions or billions, but that’s also what makes it exciting.

Where these authors and writers go wrong is looking to others to determine whether they should continue writing. I understand wanting to be praised and told you’re good at something, especially when that something is the one thing you’ve always wanted to do. But why should you have to? I’m a firm believer in people being the best at the things they’re most passionate about. If you love to write, why not take the chance?

For different people, success is measured in different ways. Some feel as though success is unattainable unless you receive a publishing contract. Others try to spout off rankings and sales numbers. Some try to dictate that unless you’ve paid hundreds of dollars for editing, plus hundreds more for artwork and a few hundred more for a professional printing press, your books aren’t really books and you’ve wasted your time. In all honesty, success is relative and you’ll never get the same answer from any two people. Those same people who say these things would also say that I haven’t been successful. I beg to differ.

I don’t have a traditional publishing contract, but I am an author. My books haven’t sold thousands, but they have sold hundreds. I may not be on bookshelves, but I do have print options. I don’t spend a lot of money, but I have a graphic artist and an editor. Most of all, I don’t care what the critics say. I have readers who enjoy my books and that’s enough for me.

Bottom line: you really can’t lose if you love what you’re doing. Life is too short to let others cut you down and keep you from your dreams. There’s always someone out there who will give you an honest opinion before publishing, but there’s no need to beg for reviews. Those who deem your work fitting will review it. Don’t hold your breath waiting for it, but it will happen eventually. Take advantage of information others give you, but do your research. The same things won’t work for everyone. If you feel like your books aren’t selling as well as others in the same genre, get a couple of them, read and compare. It may be something as simple as cover art. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Most authors who are self-published have small time success. We all dream of being big, but it’s how you measure your personal success that matters.

If anyone ever asked, I’d never tell them that I am a better writer than anyone else or that what I’ve accomplished is some amazing feat. I’ve gotten lucky to have met great writers, sold hundreds of books, gained publicity from my friends and enough fans to reach almost 650 likes on Facebook. I don’t go out looking for someone to tell me I should keep writing, I keep writing because it’s what I love. My advice to all those who are unsure: never stop doing what your heart tells you and you’ll know soon enough.  

~Lisa Logue

“Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.” David Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment