Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Author Spotlight/Interview with Kate Roth

 My author spotlight today is Kate Roth.

In 2008, Kate Roth decided to get real about her love of writing. She signed up for a course after-hours at the local high school called 'So You Want To Write A Book?'. Indeed, she did! For years Kate had been dreaming up love stories in her head and she'd even managed to write a few of them down but it was that class that gave her the drive to finally do something more with her ideas.

Kate Roth's debut novel, new adult romance The Low Notes, was released by Rebel Ink Press in May of 2012 and landed her on RIP's Best of 2012 (the publisher's best-sellers list). Her second novel, new adult paranormal romance Reckless Radiance, has been contracted for publication by Rebel Ink Press and will be released in September 2013. And she is hard at work on her third novel, Natural Harmony, another musically themed romance!


What is your favorite thing about being a writer?
I love the freedom to create my own universe. I can make a town where two people have no choice but to run into each other. I can make sure a storm is coming right when the hero and heroine have that fight that has them kissing passionately at the end. I love making characters come to life.
I agree, that is a whole lot of fun to do!

What genre(s) do you write?
I write romance but I write in a few different sub-genres such as New Adult, Paranormal and YA. I love love though. I can’t imagine not writing romance.
Me either. Romance is #1 with me too.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
In The Low Notes, Reckless Radiance and even my upcoming novel, Natural Harmony, I think it’s easy to see that I have a thing about not having limitations when it comes to love. You can’t help who you fall for and sometimes you have to let your heart take the lead and leave it up to the universe. I believe in meant-to-be. And I believe in following your heart over following the rules.
Very nicely put.

What other careers have you had?
My full time job is as a hair stylist. I own a private salon studio where I make people pretty. I also do hair product education for other cosmetologists with a company called Neuma.
I am a cosmetologist too and opened my first salon when I was just 20! I still have a salon in my home. Very nice to connect with a fellow stylist who loves to write romance.

How do your family and/or friends feel about your book or writing venture in general?
I think I might have the most supportive group of family and friends ever! When I first starting telling people that I was going to have a novel published I got so much love and encouragement from the people in my life, it was astounding. Then, when they read my debut novel I felt even more love. They supported me no matter what but then knowing they liked my work was ever better (but isn’t it always?).

Please share with us your future projects and upcoming releases.

My upcoming novel, Reckless Radiance, is a paranormal romance and will be released September 17th! And later this year I will be releasing Natural Harmony, a contemporary romance novel.

Where can readers find you?

www.katerothwrites.com

The Low Notes
When a chance meeting between high school teacher Kevin Reed and singer Nina Jordan ignites an instant spark, they must decide if it's more important to follow your heart or follow the rules.

After caring for his dying father, Kevin Reed, returns to his hometown of Wexley Falls, bereaved, unemployed and exhausted at the thought of starting a new life. After a failed blind date, Kevin meets young singer Nina Jordan who takes his breath away with the sound of her voice. The connection is instantaneous and mutual on their first date, but both are crestfallen when they discover days later, to their horror, Nina is Kevin's student at the local high school.

Deciphering between notions of love and lust, fate and coincidence, Kevin and Nina find themselves unable to turn their backs on what they can't deny is a once in a lifetime feeling. Told from both perspectives, The Low Notes explores a love that feels right even though it seems wrong.


Reckless Radiance

After the loss of her childhood love, Valerie Gilmore runs away from the life she's always known to try to start again. Between her job as a diner waitress and her toxic relationship with the first guy to help her forget her past, Valerie feels more alone than ever before until she meets Russell. He's sweet but strange and Valerie can't help but think he's hiding something. He acts as though he knows her and he seems to be looking past her broken heart, straight into her soul.

Russell has pushed aside the ancient laws of his angel brethren to find Valerie and stay as close to her as possible. He’s forced to contemplate sharing the truth about what he is after a deadly turn of events cause Valerie to run away once more. His feelings for her and a promise he made long ago help him to realize he longs to leave his life as an angel behind for a chance at love.

1 comment: