Tuesday, June 17, 2014

#AuthorSpotlight #Interview with #BernadetteWalsh




            How long have you been a writer?
Seven years ago I turned 40. After I drowned my sorrows with champagne and chocolate, I made a list of all the things I wanted to do before I die. Morbid, I know, but number one on that list was write a novel. I said to myself, yeah, I’ve really got to do that, and continued to munch on the Cadbury’s chocolate that Dear Husband thoughtfully supplied.
Two years went by. I didn’t lose the day job, no mean feat given that the debacle that was 2008. I continued indulging my interest in (some may say obsession with) reality TV. Not a word was written.
Then on a Sunday afternoon while Dear Husband was taking a nap, I came up with a name: Kate Ryan. Before I knew it Kate had a husband, family, friends and one big problem -- she and her husband had lost their high powered jobs and their savings. Her husband loses his mind and high tails it to Australia. Kate loses her mind and joins the cast of a local cable channel’s reality TV show.


I had a blast writing GOLD COAST WIVES! I wrote what I wanted how I wanted. Then reality sank in. I joined a local writing group, figured out that I made about 100 basic writing mistakes, rewrote it, rewrote it again, entered it into various RWA chapter contests, wrote it again and after two years submitted it to some publishers. In December 2010 I got the best Christmas present ever when Lyrical Press offered me a contract! I have released five books with Lyrical Press which is now an imprint of Kensington. I just finished two other books and am contemplating where and how to release them. I may explore self-pubbing at least one of my new books.

What genre do you write it?
My first book, GOLD COAST WIVES, is a humorous contemporary romance. My second, THE HOUSE ON PROSPECT, which I expect to re-release later in the year under the title THE GIRLS ON ROSE HILL, is a family saga/women’s fiction.  The Devlin Legacy is a four book paranormal romance series of which THE DEVLIN WITCH is the fourth book (although each can be read as a stand alone). While I’ve hopped around genres, my books all have some reoccurring themes: All involve either Irish or Irish-American characters; most involve women in midlife dealing with a crisis; and all are set either in Ireland or New York. I like to say that I write about women dealing with what life throws at them the best way they can.

 What is the hardest part of writing?
     Finding time to write is number 1.
      
      Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I have always been an avid reader. Books are my drug. When I was a kid my father would take the book out of my hand and throw me outside to play. I always found a way to sneak in through the back door and keep reading.

Five years ago when I decided to write a novel, I started by reading “how to write a novel” books and did a lot of surfing. For my first book I followed a modified form of the “snowflake” method and wrote short bios for all of my characters. I made an outline. However, since then I’ve become more of a pantser.

Are any of your characters based on real people?
      I find inspiration from varied sources. My women’s fiction title, THE HOUSE ON PROSPECT (soon to be renamed THE GIRLS ON ROSE HILL), is about three generation of women and it was inspired by a letter my Irish great grandmother wrote to her daughter in New York when the daughter’s husband died. Even eighty years on, the anguish she felt in not being able to comfort her daughter in person is palpable in the thin faded pages and it really spoke to me. I’ve always been interested in how the disruption of immigration can ripple through generations. As the child of an immigrant and the spouse of an immigrant that is something that has impacted my life directly even though I current only live ten miles from where I grew up. My paranormal series, THE DEVLIN LEGACY,  was inspired by a remote mountain in Ireland where my parents had a summer house and it too has characters who have immigrated from Ireland to New York, with sometimes disasterous results.



Find Me Here

Twitter: BWalshWriter


1 comment: