Sunday, July 21, 2013

Author Spotlight/Interview with K. D. Carrillo

I am thrilled today to have author K. D. Carrillo with us.




Tell us about yourself.
I am a Midwestern girl transplanted to the Pacific Northwest.  My family moved to Washington State when I
was 15.  I attended Central Washington University in Ellensburg, WA after graduating high school.  I loved it so much I stayed and got my M.A. from there.  I majored in History and minored in French.

I am married with a son, and currently call Idaho home.  But my heart will always belong in Washington. 



What is your favorite thing about being a writer?

 My favorite thing about writing is creating alternate realities.  It gives me the ability to share my daydreams.  It feels daring and vulnerable at the same time, sharing this private creation with the public.

Why do you think people should choose your books over another author?

I don't know that I want people to choose me over another writer.  There are so many great writers out there.  Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines, J. A. Redmerski, Jennifer Armentrout, and many others are my favorites.  My hope is that people add me to their list of their favorite authors.

I think people will like my work because I write strong female characters.  I don't like weak-minded too stupid to live girls who are dependent on a man for their survival.  In Fighting Destiny all of my characters are equals.  I try not to idolize my characters because they are supernaturals.  They have insecurities, problems, and broken hearts just like the rest of us.

What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories?

I want my readers to follow their hearts.  Life is short, and you have to fight to discover yourself and follow your passion.  Stop looking at others and believing their lives are better, or they are more deserving of happiness.  No one's life is perfect.

What’s something fans would find fascinating about you?

I have a Master of Arts in Early Modern European History and Environmental History from Central Washington University.  I speak French and Spanish, and did two summer language courses in Pau, France.  I worked for three years as a teaching assistant working with immigrants and refugees.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?

I have ADD, so I usually work on at least two projects at once. They are two different series.  I find when my ideas dry up on one story I can switch to the other and then back again.  I have another book coming out later this summer.

Please share with us your future projects and upcoming releases.

I am working on the sequel to Fighting Destiny, titled Burning.  I am also editing my second novel Self Destruct, a contemporary New Adult Romance that is the first of three books.

Where can readers find you?

Follow me on twitter @centralcoven, friend me on FaceBook K. D. Carrillo, or read my blog kdcarrillo.blogspot.com



Chloë desperately wants a normal life. She wants to go to college, make friends, fall in love, and just be an 18 year old girl. There is only one problem, Chloë is a witch.

Soon after arriving at the university Chloë meets Finn, Anita, and Dean. The four college freshmen become inseparable. Love and friendship blossoms, but their carefree college days are violently interrupted. College students begin to go missing, and so have several powerful supernatural beings. Chloë and her friends are drawn to investigate by a mysterious visitor.

The four learn that the supernatural world has plans and expectations for them, plans they aren't happy with. Can they fight their destiny, or will they learn to accept it?








No comments:

Post a Comment