Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Author Spotlight/ Interview with Evan Bollinger

Today's author spotlight is Evan Bollinger. A seasoned writer and practitioner of telepathy. A student of human psychology. A supporter of all causes humanitarian. A people-watcher. Extremely motivated... in extremely narrow areas of interest.
And speaking of interest...
He likes a mild Autumn day.
Evan is currently the author of six books:
"The Followers," a gothic novella, a science fiction short, "Black Willow," the dramatic comedy, "Parking Lot Kings," "Shit Ain't Perfect," an irreverent satire, "Marin's Dale" a scifi/horror novel, and "Words Kill Me," a psychological inquiry.
Evan is a graduate of Dickinson College with degrees in English and Psychology.


Welcome Evan!

What is your favorite thing about being a writer?

For me writing is about escape. It’s about shooting off into the farthest clouds of my imagination and existing in the moment. When I’m writing, my real-life might be guiding my words, but I’m no longer existing in the here-and-now. It’s as much a therapy session as it is an adventure. Sometimes it takes you into the blackest void; sometimes I swear I’m coasting on the sun.

What genre(s) do you write?

I’ve tried my hand at everything. I am most passionate about horror and science fiction, but I also have worked in literary fiction, satire, and even erotica. (Yes, erotica).  I enjoy the unique challenges each genre presents. There are certain sets of expectations, certain quirks and features that draw the fans and keep them reading. I do my best to absorb it all.

Why do you think people should choose your books over another author?

I hold nothing back. I want to push people’s buttons and I refuse to shy away from controversial topics. I want to make readers feel in the most extreme, and I want them to think. I want them to look long and hard at the world around them, and to pull away the veil. Much of my work has philosophical underpinnings.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

My novel, Marin’s Dale, is a dark book. It takes an apocalyptic event in a sleepy Colorado town, and turns reality on its head. From the first chapter, I want to immerse the reader in the growing suspense; the encroaching evil that is as mysterious as it is destructive. The characters are psychologically tormented; conflicted. They are raw and deadly and full of insecurities that amplify in the face of an otherworldly force. The perspectives vary immensely. We have a young police officer, a drug-addled underachiever, a genius with Asperger’s, an ex-alcoholic sewer worker, an eccentric high school teacher—they all get thrown into the mix. Throughout the book, I hope that people understand how life is both horrid and impossibly wonderful. Curse and blessing; black and white.
It’s certainly not your average horror/scifi.

When not writing, how do you relax?

People always tell me that I’m very relaxed. In fact, some people have confused my calm demeanor with me not caring. This could not be further from the truth. I care very deeply about a number of things, but I’ve always struggled to express this in the spoken word. For whatever reason, I’ve always relied on my writing to get it all out. When not writing, I like to surf the web, watch baseball, and watch people. I love watching people. Yea I know, I’m a creep. I also have other means of blowing off steam… but I’m not sure I can mention those here ;)

Please tell us 5 miscellaneous facts about yourself.

My favorite sandwich is an Italian Cold Cut. I once wore a brace for scoliosis. I can sleep 14 hours a day. I’ve been arrested once. I like the smell of gasoline.

Do you have anything coming up?

I’ll be having a Free Promo on Amazon for my book, “Parking Lot Kings” July 20th and 21st. It’s an interesting take on life as a cart pusher at a gourmet grocery store. Based loooosely on real events ;)




Blog: http://www.meandermin.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @eballzz

Book Description: Something has infiltrated the quiet airs of Marin's Dale. Something that has never been seen. Something that mere human minds cannot fathom...




Excerpt: But this was not the case. For something was alive down there, something hidden at length down the miles of tunnel; something emitting a searing moan with so much volume, so much power, that the blast of water seemed almost soft in comparison.
Something was alive down there, somewhere amid the sea of red and shadows of black—something nobody had ever seen. Something huge.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bernadette, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and for the nice comment. I will certainly take a look at your blog. And I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. :)

      Delete