Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Author Spotlight/Interview with Ebony Nicole Smit

Today I am pleased to welcome author Ebony Nicole Smith. 

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
 I am just a woman of God looking to do whatever He asks of me to please Him. I am living and enjoying my purpose. I reside where my heart is—with my family. I rest in the comfort of my Lord and His word. I am ready and available to be used according to His will. I am just a woman after God’s heart.

What was the hardest part about writing your book?
The hardest part about writing my novel was trying to keep my characters at bay while I worked and spent time with my family and friends. It was as if “they” demanded all of my thoughts. It seemed whatever I was doing, my characters popped up. It caused me to wonder, “What would Eve do in this situation?”—Eve is the protagonist in my novel titled Eve’s Confession. I would later understand that by asking myself similar questions, assisted with my characters becoming more life-like. By thinking of them in different situations helped to develop their personalities and mannerisms.  I want readers to reflect on my characters long after they have finished the last chapter.  One way to achieve that is by creating relatable characters. If Eve handled herself like this or that, there is someone who would do the same or not.

What is your favorite thing about being a writer?
My favorite thing about being a writer is creating a world where I make the rules that “people” have to abide by. I love being able to “live” a life where I am free from all fault. Such as with my current novel; the protagonist is married and yet finds it hard to remain faithful to her husband. She is fearless and unapologetic in her actions. I have the ability to have my character react in ways I wouldn’t dare or at least wish I could. I find it entertaining to be able to kill off the bad guy without getting my hands dirty J

How do you come up with your titles?
My titles actually come quite easily to me. When I do think of a new story, it is always after I have experienced something emotional. For example, one evening after leaving work I had my windows down and music playing loudly while at a red light. I was listening to my favorite gospel group, Mary Mary, song titled, Go Get It (Go get your blessing). I was singing and bopping my head to the music as I normally do. As I was having my mini solo performance, I failed to notice I had gained an audience in the car next to me. I immediately become shocked and shy when I did notice. I lowered the volume and covered my face. Just than the group of men began to sing, “Go get your blessing! Go get it!” Needless to say, I was pleasantly happy when the light had turned green. That small embracing encounter sparked the plot for a novel titled The Bakers Choice, which I will be co-authoring with a new novelist name Aragon La Mar. The lead female experienced the same thing I had, which is how she meets one of the leading men in the book. I often warn new and old friends of the following: Please be advised, anything you say can and will be used in one of my novels--if it is entertaining to me.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?
I work on one novel at a time. I like to be able to put my all into my stories. I find it easier to keep the characters I’m working on in the forefront of my thoughts. By doing so, I write one novel a year. It also gives me the opportunity to create my characters with more depth to them. For me, it goes back to thinking about them in different situations. I treat the writing of my novels like dating different guys: I can only commit my time to the one in front of me. The rest will have to wait until this one ends. (My special friend wouldn’t appreciate that statement J)

When not writing, how do you relax?
Whenever my characters aren’t begging for time with me, I am with my family. I have eight nephews and nieces, six of which I see daily. I love to have them entertain me with their little funny quirk about their day-to-day life. By engaging with them, I am able to portray the emotions of children in my writing.  I also enjoy time with my very close friends. I love how intimate our conversations can become to the point we can release built up tears, frustrations and express joy and things alike. It’s not often a woman (or man) meet people who are so different then she is, yet so much the same.

Tell us 5 facts about yourself.
  1. .     I’m afraid of the dark. So much so, I sleep with a nightlight by my bedside—by the way, I’m 30yrs old :-)
  2. .     I have a strange love for law enforcement officers. Whenever I travel to different cities, I make it my business to take a picture with an officer. I take pictures of their vehicles and all. My friends find it funny and very often send me pictures of officers. I think my love for them stems from my need to feel safe and secure.
  3. .     I have watched the movie The Wiz, staring Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, over 50 times. I know the entire movie word for word. In addition, if no one were looking, I’d do the dance scenes too :-)
  4. .     I love the Golden Girls and identify with Rose Island. I think she’s an older me. I enjoy telling stories about my life growing up in Rochester NY and by default, I’m socially weird. :-)
  5. .     Finally, I love the Lord. He has been my inspiration since I found Him on December 31, 2011. I will never forget the day I was reborn. He picked this struggling rose from out of a bunch of weeds. He placed me in a field where I can feel His love shining down on me. I awake knowing the day was preordained before I opened my eyes. I know His thoughts are of good and not evil to give me an expected ending. Glory to God for all He has done and will do.

What future projects are you working on? 
 I am currently working on my third novel, which I am co-author with a new novelist name Aragon La Mar. The story, titled On Still Waters, follows a young married couple, Amanda and Sam, as they embark on a journey to rekindle their five-year marriage. They decide to take a cruise to enjoy the beauty of the islands. On the last day of the voyage, something goes a mist. Sam disappears into thin air or so it seems. With the help of another passenger, Amanda must search and find him before the ship departs. With little time left, the only lead to finding him is anything but helpful. If Amanda runs out of time, she has to decide to leave or stay. Moreover, where is Sam?
            I am very excited about the new novel that will be out the summer 2014. After On Still Waters, I will than turn my thoughts to my forth novel. I’m not sure which of my stories I’ll be writing for that one just yet but it will be released in the winter of 2014.

Where can readers find you?
Twitter: @ebnicsmith
Instagram: @ebnicsmith


 Eve’s Confession
What are the chances that an encounter between two people would leave others dead or clinging to life?
Shamar never dreamed he would have to contend with a psychopath whose target would become his family. But after Eve, extremely hurt by her husband’s betrayal, decides that two can pay that game, she ups the disloyalty ante and their once peaceful life embarks on a treacherous journey that’s so sinister in nature and deadly in consequence, neither Eve nor her husband are sure they will walk away from the madness—together or alive. 












Enjoy an excerpt from Eve's Confession:
Excerpt from Eve’s Confession: Songs of a Lustful Soul

“That’s it Jim, you got it,” the therapist encouraged him along the way.
          It should be easy for me to walk, I tried to convince myself.  I’m half his age. If my legs would move then maybe my toes would follow. “Move knees. Thighs. Calves. Any part down there. Move!” I wanted to yell it out loud, but I was sure I would just draw attention away from him and on to me. I didn’t want the attention, not when my body was so useless, when my life was so useless. Why was my body being so stubborn, so determined to make a fool out of me? Just do it already. Move! I’m ready to get on with my life, to not be stuck in this one spot forever. “Move!” I almost cried. My legs didn’t listen either.
Jim grunted while taking another step and another. His family’s cheers grew louder with each walk. I turned my head as my eyes filled with tears. A bit of jealousy rolled over me and settled in my heart as a lonely tear fell down my cheek. How could this have happen to me? Why was my life so screwed up? I wished I could press rewind and start the last two years over. However, life wasn’t an iPod. There were neither repeats, rewinds, fast-forwards or pauses. Just play. Only play. 
          I reached for my bag and took out my iPod and ear buds. I shuffled through the different play lists looking for My Mixtape. I peered over at the group as Jim reached the end of his walk, I felt as if the jealousy was eating me alive. I put my ear buds in and the iPod chimed, its screen flashing Battery Life Sixty Percent. I tried to ignore everyone in the room as other patients cheered Jim on while the wheelchair was pushed up behind him. I turned my head as they helped him sit and his family surrounded him.
          As the first beat dropped, I reminisced. Reflected on how I ended up there, on how I had made decisions that led to me lying on my back looking up at a white ceiling until I was ready, until I was no longer trapped inside of the prison that was my body. I thought about being ready for the day I could walk, run with my children again. I was ready for the day I could dance again. I was ready…


No comments:

Post a Comment