Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Author Spotlight Interview with Lindsay Harper


 Today I am spotlighting a 5 Prince Publishing author who is busy putting out the books! With one release through the company and two more on the books you'll be hearing a lot from Lindsay Harper.


Lindsay Harper lives in West Yorkshire, England with her husband and four Springer Spaniels. She has two grown up children and three grandchildren. She now writes full time and this is the third book in the ”How To …” romance series following best friends Robyn and Denizon through the trials and tribulations of life. When she’s not writing she practices Homeopathy and is a House Doctor. For fun she enjoys walks by the water, yoga, cooking, DIY, 60’s retro and anything romance.


What is your favorite thing about being a writer?
Being able to create new characters and tell their stories.

What genre(s) do you write?
Contemporary women’s fiction and chick-lit

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
I didn’t find any of the writing hard. I’ve never suffered from writer’s block
Are you a plotter or a pantser?

Why do you think people should choose your books over another author?
Because I write about the gritty stuff of women’s lives – not shying away from subjects that some people find uncomfortable.

What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories?
 Hope for relationships, one reader said my book helped her to reassess her relationship with her husband. She stopped taking him too much for granted.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Always follow your dream, strive to be happy and don’t compromise yourself for another.

How long have you been a writer? 
Since 2010 but full time since writing How to Have an Affair.

How much time did it take from writing your first book to having it published?
No time at all as me as my husband set up a small publishing company to publish my first three novels. But I wanted to reach a much wider audience so I looked for another much bigger company – hence 5Prince.

What other careers have you had?
I’m a homeopath, House Doctor, Pilates and T’ai Chi teacher. I’ve been a Fitness Centre instructor and owner, teacher, Centre Manager. I think that’ll do!

Do you write under more than one name? Why?
No, just my own. I’ve thought about writing under a pen name as I’ve written a few genres but my fan base has always advised against it as they like to read everything I write.

Are any of your characters based on real people or events?
Yes, most of what I write I’ve experienced first-hand or know of someone else who has experienced it. People who know me can see me in some of my heroines.

How would you describe yourself if you were “speed dating” your readers?
(Great question!) Funny, busy, efficient, kind, out-going.

What’s something fans would find fascinating about you?
My age - I’m 55 and a grandma to 3 children. One reviewer was surprised at my age as I write so knowledgeably about sex! I’m not past it yet!

What else would you like readers to know about you or your work?
Despite writing mostly about infidelity and affairs I’m happily married to Paul. It’s our 18th wedding anniversary March 29th.

How do your family and/or friends feel about your book or writing venture in general?
They are incredibly proud. My 84 year old mum and 30 year old daughter both love my books but my son won’t read the sex scenes. He thinks it’s too weird reading stuff like that written by his mother. My husband is incredibly supportive and works very hard so I can fulfill my dream of becoming a Best-Selling Author.

Where are you from?
Yorkshire, England

How do you come up with the titles?
They just come to me – often on dog walks, or during the night.

Has your life changed significantly since becoming a published writer?
Yes. I spend all day on my own in front of a computer only going out when absolutely necessary.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?
I write one book at a time although I have the next one lined up in my head. I multi-task with other things and see patients in my homeopathy practice, do all the administration in my husband’s property maintenance business and do the occasional House Doctoring.

When not writing, how do you relax?
I meditate using the Ishayas Ascension practice, I walk my four springer spaniels, I look after my grandchildren, I do Ashtanga yoga.

Please tell us 5 miscellaneous facts about yourself.
I’ve been married twice before, I never have the same hairstyle for more than 6 months, I don’t drink alcohol, I love watching TV, I cry really easily at soppy films.

Please share with us your future projects and upcoming releases.
How to Have an Amicable Divorce will be released May 15th 2014, How to Have a Happy Marriage released September 2014 both with 5Prince Publishing. I’m half way through writing a chick-lit novel that is really witty and down-right funny!

Where can readers find you?
Twitter @harperpublishin
Facebook – LindsayHarperAuthor
www.5princebooks.com

How to Have an Affair
Have you ever been attracted to someone you shouldn’t?
Were you prepared to risk everything?
Robyn Fisher is a frustrated, busy, working mum and wife who feels that life is passing her by – that is until she meets charismatic psychologist, Jay Trethedick, at a weekend seminar. Despite the instant attraction, Robyn resists Jay’s advances only to surrender to temptation a week later and they begin an intense and passionate love affair. But when the lovers start taking increasingly dangerous risks, Robyn’s husband discovers the truth and walks out, destroying Robyn’s world.
But the grass isn’t always greener. After an attempt to start a new life with Jay, Robyn realises she has to take the biggest risk of all; choosing who to love and who to let go. As sexual desire battles with real life and family, can she make the right choice?
How far is she willing to go?



‘Sit down, make yourself at home,’ he said pointing to a large armchair. ‘I’ve made a coffee, do you want one?’ He moved to pour her a cup.
‘I’ll get it, you finish getting ready.’
‘If you’re sure?’ Jay picked up his denim jeans and walked into the bathroom, leaving the door slightly ajar. Robyn could see his reflection in the mirror and watched as he unzipped his trousers, letting them fall to the floor. She should’ve politely averted her eyes, but they were glued to his half naked body. Get a grip, Robyn, you’re a married woman for God’s sake.
‘Have you rung home today?’ Jay shouted from the bathroom.
Robyn abruptly fell back to earth. ‘Not yet. They had a busy day organised. I’ll try tonight,’ she shouted back.
‘I don’t blame you. I feel these weekends are a bit like being in a cocoon, any disturbance from the outside world feels like a real intrusion.’ Jay appeared from the bathroom doing up his buttons, ‘I just need my shoes and then I’m ready. Did you get that coffee?’
‘I did, thanks,’ she said, taking a sip. ‘I hope it’s not too cold outside. I haven’t brought any gloves.’
‘You can always hold my hand if you get too cold.’ 
‘Or I could put my hands in my pockets.’
‘That’s just mean.’
‘We’d better be getting off.’ Robyn yawned. ‘If I sit here any longer, I’ll fall asleep.’
‘Let’s see if the fresh air can wake you up.’
They both stood up at the same time, bumping into each other as they tried to negotiate round the bed.
Only a few inches separated their faces. Jay looked intently into Robyn’s eyes, ‘Oh, Robyn, If only you knew what I was thinking …’ he whispered stroking the side of her face.
Robyn froze. ‘But we can’t … ’
‘I know we shouldn’t … but this is driving me crazy … ‘
‘Me too… Believe me, I want to … so much,’ she moved a stray lock of hair away from his eye.
‘But I just couldn’t live with myself – or Dave – if I did.’ A lone tear sneaked out of Robyn’s eye and ran down her cheek.
‘But no-one would know,’ Jay reached out for Robyn’s hand.
‘But I’d know,’ she said, still not moving away from him. 
Jay pulled her close, enveloping her in his arms. He lifted her chin and wiped away another tear with his finger.
‘It’s okay. I understand.’
She held onto him tightly, burying her face in his neck. When she finally released her grip, she gently kissed his lips.
‘Thank-you,’ she whispered.
‘What for?’
‘I don’t know,’ she replied sadly.




Are you part of Bernadette Marie's Street Team? Join us on Facebook!





No comments:

Post a Comment